CARBON MONOXIDE SAFETY

National Fire Protection Association

Often called the silent killer, carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Vehicles or generators running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Facts & figures

Based on 2005-2009 annual average

  • The dangers of CO exposure depend on a number of variables, including the victim's health and activity level. Infants, pregnant women, and people with physical conditions that limit their body's ability to use oxygen (i.e. emphysema, asthma, heart disease) can be more severely affected by lower concentrations of CO than healthy adults would be.
  • A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.
  • In 2010, U.S. fire departments responded to an estimated 80,100 non-fire CO incidents in which carbon monoxide was found, or an average of nine such calls per hour. The number of incidents increased 96 percent from 40,900 incidents reported in 2003. This increase is most likely due to the increased use of CO detectors, which alert people to the presence of CO.

More information is available through the National Fire Protection Association at www.nfpa.org

Mailing Address

​PO Box 1210

Pearl River, LA  70452

 

Call, Fax or Email

Office: 985.863.3132

Office: 985.863.3134
Fax: 985.863.1834

Media Contact: 985.256.4705

Emergency: 9-1-1

contact@pearlriverfire.org
 

Social Media